Morfydd Clark is a Welsh actress. She is known for her film roles as Maud in Saint Maud and Dora Spenlow in The Personal History of David Copperfield, and in television as Mina Harker in Dracula, Sister Clara in His Dark Materials, and Galadriel in The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power.
Years active: 2014–present
Born age: 17 March 1989, 34 years old and 8 months, Sweden
Sun Sign: Pisces
Hair Color: Blonde
Eye Color: Gray
Height: 5 feet 4 inches / 162 cm (1.62 m)
Measurements: 33-24-34 inches / 84-61-86 cm
Bra size: 32B
Clark was born in Sweden and moved with her family to Penarth, Wales, when she was two years old. She described her father as a “Northern Irish Glaswegian“, and her maternal side is from North Wales. Her parents spoke English together, but her maternal grandparents were Welsh speakers, which led to her attending a Welsh language school. She is bi-lingual in English and Welsh. Her first taste of acting was playing Mrs Dai Bread in a school production of Under Milk Wood. After struggling with dyslexia and ADHD, she left school at 16. In 2009, she was accepted to British Youth Music Theatre‘s production of According to Brian Haw and to the National Youth Theatre of Wales, before training at the Drama Centre London.
The Sweden-born actress Morfydd Clark began her acting journey in school, and her first role was Mrs. Dai Bread in the play Under Milk Wood. She dropped out of Drama Centre London when she got the opportunity to be featured in Saunders Lewis’ play Blodeuwedd.
Clark’s first on-screen role was in a TV Mini-Series called New Worlds. She was named among the Screen International “Stars of Tomorrow” in 2016, praising her work in theater and television.
Clark left Drama Centre in her final term to star in Saunders Lewis‘ play Blodeuwedd with Theatr Genedlaethol Cymru. She has appeared in Violence and Son at the Royal Court, as Juliet in Romeo and Juliet at the Crucible Theatre, Sheffield, and in Les Liaisons Dangereuses at the Donmar Warehouse. She played Frederica Vernon in Whit Stillman’s film Love & Friendship. In 2016, Clark was named as one of the Screen International Stars of Tomorrow for her early work in television and theatre. She appeared in the film The Call Up and as Cordelia in King Lear at The Old Vic. In 2017, she starred in Interlude In Prague, and portrayed Catherine Dickens in The Man Who Invented Christmas.
In 2019, she appeared in the films Crawl, The Personal History of David Copperfield, and Eternal Beauty. Also that year, Clark starred as Maud in the psychological horror film Saint Maud, for which, she was nominated for Best Actress of the 2020 British Independent Film Awards. For her performance as Maud, she won the BAFTA Cymru best actress award, and the 2021 BAFTA Rising Star Award.
The Rings of Power
Morfydd has cited that she is “proud” that being a Welsh speaker influenced her portrayal of her bilingual character, Galadriel. The actor stated, “I feel I can be much more romantic and deep in Welsh. So that was really useful for me, because I was thinking, ‘[What’s the] language of her heart? What language does she think in?'” In another interview, the actor discussed her education in Welsh: “Well, I went to a Welsh language school and everything is taught in Welsh. Welsh is phonetic, so it’s great for people with dyslexia. I started learning English in the third year. What my Tolkien-obsessed mother was really proud of and passed on to us was that Tolkien was inspired by the Welsh. Oddly enough, his work was a badge of honour for me, because the Welsh are Welsh and obsessed with anything Welsh.” She also mentioned enjoying speaking in Welsh on-set with co-stars Owain Arthur and Trystan Gravelle.
- Morfydd Clark has a short stature as she is 5 feet 4 inches or 162 cm tall.
- The lovely actress Clark weighs around 51 kg or 112 pounds and maintains her health with a protein-rich diet and exercising. Stay tuned for her body measurements.
- Morfydd Clark underwent special and rigorous training for her role in the Amazon series Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power.
- She believes that if she weren’t an actress, she would be a therapist or a psychiatrist. Can’t wait to know more about this rising star? Follow along as we explore her life and career.
- Morfydd has starred in popular films such as Love & Friendship, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, The Falling, The Personal History of David Copperfield, and more.
- One of Clark’s best-known roles is Saint Maud, which earned her nominations for the BAFTA Rising Star Award and Best Actress at the British Independent Film Awards.
- Morfydd is seen in the prequel show to the Lord of the Rings, The Rings of Power, and is gaining worldwide recognition. She stars as the young version of Galadriel, the elf played by Cate Blanchett in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
How did Morfydd Clark train for her role in The Rings of Power?
Morfydd Clark may not be a known fitness freak, but her work in The Rings of Power certainly pushed her limits. She had to go through intense training sessions to build her strong and bold character in the show.
Clark got trained in horse riding and sword fighting for four months, which allowed her to nail the epic battle sequences in the Amazon Original show.
The actress has said that she enjoyed learning to climb the most, as it proved to be a wonderful mindful activity for her. And what she found most challenging was the underwater training, in which she had to hold her breath underwater for long periods.
Facts About Morfydd Clark
Morfydd’s favored party trick outside Wales is narrating the Welsh alphabet.
If Morfydd Clark had to choose a superpower, she would choose flying.
Morfydd Clark can speak English and Welsh fluently, along with some Swedish.
In Clark’s words, working in Saint Maud was an experience that changed her life.
Morfydd Clark was diagnosed with ADHD and dyslexia as a kid, she struggled a lot in school, and as a consequence, she dropped out at 16.
Morfydd’s father is Northern Irish Glaswegian, while her mother is from North Wales.
Clark won the BAFTA Cymru best actress award for her work in Saint Maud, a Welsh branch of the BAFTA awards.
Morfydd Clark’s Favorite Things
- Favorite Films: Groundhog Day, Pan’s Labyrinth, Strictly Ballroom, Sense and Sensibility, and Twin Town
- Favorite Set: Khazad-dûm (Realm of dwarves) and Númenor (city of humans) in Rings of Power
- Favorite Tolkien character: Lúthien
What face shape does Morfydd Clark have?
The beautiful Morfydd Clark has a heart-shaped face.
What is Morfydd Clark’s hair color?
What color eyes does Morfydd Clark have?
Where does Morfydd Clark live?